Sunday, June 19, 2005

working in Singapore

In the light of my previous post, I find it mildly amusing that in the last two weeks, two friends have expressed their interest in working in Singapore. One from the UK, one from the US; neither is Singaporean. It just goes to show that grass is always greener on the other side I guess.

Actually, there are a lot of good reasons to work in Singapore that we probably don't fully appreciate. The first thing is the low tax rate, which is only 20% in Singapore but ranges from about 40-70% in Europe and America. The second is the low crime rate which is great for stumbling home drunk at night. And of course, there's the low cost of living and excellent public transport.

Then again, I'm not the sort that goes "I will work harder", so a slower pace of working life would be rather preferable.

No comments: