I was always the kid that got smacked with the ruler for not remembering his times tables. I was also the kid who forgot when assignments were due, forgot to bring the right textbooks and always lost at those games that involved remembering which card was where. I never remember names or faces. When I ask people for directions, I usually follow through with the first three steps and then ask someone else. My memory is not very good. Things got better when I got a PDA, but perhaps it gets worse too because the device becomes a crutch. And sometimes I forget my PDA.
My memory is really not very good. It has something I have come to accept about myself.
But increasingly, I find that memory is perhaps one of the most important skills a person can have. Along with raw intelligence and good communication skills, a good memory is essential to success at work. Because if you forget to do stuff, you're not going to do a very good job. And when the boss says "I told you A" and you can't remember, you lose. And when the boss says "I told you A" and you remember he told you B, you don't trust yourself because you have poor recollection and so you still lose.
There's only so much you can write down or key in, and when it comes to following instructions it really helps to remember the instructions in as much detail as possible; which I do not. And so I have resolved that I should go read Mega Memory.
Saturday, November 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i used to have very good memory skill. but as i aged, things changed a little... especially my short-term memory... unless i make an effort to put things into my long-term memory, things that store in my short-term memory get replaced (maybe the capacity got smaller as i aged). but i don't like to put everything into my long-term memory because i'm afraid it might get filled up one day...
PDA only will get things worse. it only encourages me not to put things in my long-term memory.
lukong: You're absolutely right! I figured I should exercise my brain more to stimulate the neuron linkages.
I also have poor memory. once, I was on a date with this girl, and I couldn't find my car. We took about 20 minutes to find it, going round and round. She was in a dress. I was... I can't remember what I wore.
If she wasn't a childhood friend, I think she'd hate me.
Post a Comment