Friday, January 27, 2006

perfect scam

Listening to the radio just now, I heard the perfect scam by the Perfect 10 98.7FM.

It went like this, "We have 70th anniversary clocks to giveaway! (whoopee) If your IC number comtains the numbers 9, 8 or 7, one of these clocks is yours! So sms 'Dan', your name and your NRIC number to XXXX. Oh, and we only have 2 clocks. And oh, each sms will cost you 30 cents."

So my NRIC contains one of the numbers and I thought, wow I could really be one of those two lucky winners! I bet all of you would have too.

Lucky I was driving because I thought a bit deeper and realised that wait a sec, what is the chance of not having one of those numbers? The chance of not having one of those digits is (7/10)^7 = 0.0823543. You must be pretty damn unlucky not to have any of those numbers.

I stayed the urge to whip out the phone and send a few smses.

And then I thought a little more. Anyone between the ages of 7 to 36 would have one of those numbers. That covers pretty much everyone who would be stupid enough to send an sms, myself included. Actually, that covers pretty much everyone who might be tuned in to the station.

And each sms is 30 cents. Wow, I wonder how much the clock is worth.

For a while there, they made me feel special.

5 comments:

Yuhui said...

Haha, that's bloody good marketing!!!

Anonymous said...

Geez pls lah:

Anyone born in the 90s, 80s and 70s would have 9,8 and 7 automatically in their ic. which i bet covers practically anyone who tunes into 98.7

catbert

The Rust said...

but the question should be... why was PaddyChicken listening to 987? He's no longer a teenager.

AND... how could it be their 70th anniversary?

paddychicken said...

catbert:
My point exactly.
"Anyone between the ages of 7 to 36 would have one of those numbers."

the rust:
Well, it's the only station that you stand a remote chance of hearing progressive rock or indie, which is my current genre of choice.

Good question ... but they have a "Radio turns 70" icon on the Mediacorp site, whatever that is supposed to mean.

pearlywhirls said...

i think they mean radio broadcast in singapore turning 70?

beats me. i thought the only kind of radio they had back 70 yrs ago wld be like redifussion?