Wednesday, February 28, 2007

calamari rings

I vividly remember television scenes from childhood of dramatic wedding proposals. The poor boyfriend either goes to great lengths bordering on utter humiliation to catch the girl's attention, or he gets the biggest rock money can buy, or both. In pop culture, the sincerity of the proposition seems to rely entirely on the absurdity of the proposal. Is this really the factor that wins the girl's heart, to start a lifetime commitment?

After finally getting into a serious relationship, the proposal seems almost insignificant. Which is why I opted for a no-frills affair and proposed sincerely - and was gladly accepted without hesitation - with a calamari. It wasn't exactly a ring, until you wiped the thick batter off; but inside the piece of squid was just right to slip around her finger. And it was gratifying to know she sees the importance of the ring and rock in the same light.

Of course the diamond will come in due course. And now she can shop with me to find the perfect one. It's rather amusing to see her look of disdain when I squeal in delight at the "cute little diamonds". I don't think it's going to be cheap, either.

Several people have asked me, along with the congratulations, "are you really happy?" Of course I'm happy, but I wouldn't exactly say really happy. It seems like the natural progression to the next stage in life; and now when we look at flats or argue over baby names, it just feels a little more real.

4 comments:

ah-yun said...

haha, that's cute. congratulations! a (guy) friend told me that, if you watched "Blood Diamond" you wouldn't want a diamond ring anymore. maybe you can give that a try with your fiance. :P

paddychicken said...

thanks! maybe i will :)

Anonymous said...

Alright, I shall cease and desist from out-of-context readings of Isaiah 55:12 (KJV) and go ask her for details.

*BEAM*

See y'all soon!

[-jiahui-] said...

Hey! cool! haha congratulations!!
anyway i watch blood diamond and still think that diamonds are pretty little things. haha! MY pov lah. :)