Tuesday, December 25, 2007

grandmother stories

We were all gathered for a family Christmas dinner, and decided it was about time to show my grandmother the wedding gifts we had gotten with her money. My grandmother has Alzheimer's, so although we had gotten the gifts a long time ago, she would just have forgotten if we had shown her too early. So after a superb Christmas spread was consumed, the fiance and I bounced over (in very slow, heavily damped bounces) to present the gifts to her.

We watched her eyes sparkle in the reflected brilliance of the lovely pair of diamond earrings we had purchased with her generous budget. She gave a bright smile and gave her compliments,

"Very nice! Looks like fake jewellery, like this go out safer no one will rob you and steal."

After a split-second stunned silence, laughter erupted around the dinner table. And all eyes were on her, trying to study her body language if she really liked or did not like the earrings.

She continued to go on about the merits of costume jewellery, and how safety is very important. Later one I showed her my watch, but I didn't quite catch her comment in Cantonese. I guess I don't want to know.

No comments: