Church Camp 2008 was quite a memorable one for me in a reflective way; I went to camp seeking some guidance, and I got my answers and many other lessons. So I thought I would pen some of my thoughts down for future reference, as well as to share with everyone, whether or not you attended the camp, and if anyone else has more insights to share I'd love to hear to it.
I think I echo the sentiments of many in feeling that this camp was a little bit of lecture overload. I'm not sure how many people could survive 3 talks, 2 workshops and a bible study within a single day. Nevertheless, there were certainly some gems, and perhaps I would have caught more if I had a longer attention span.
For me, the defining theme for the camp was "Comfort in Affliction". The foundation was laid clearly in the intro to 2 Corinthians, when Paul Barker made a clear distinction between comfort and healing. As Christians, we should expect to lead lives of suffering, and Christ will provide us the necessary comfort to make the afflictions bearable. We, in turn, should be open in sharing our afflictions with others, as well as sharing the comfort that God provides us so that others may be encouraged.
I feel I have always led a blessed life, with very little suffering. But the reality of this message, and the fragility of life, was brought home by the other campers. First there was Richard's brain haemorrhage, which took a camper right from our midst and to the doorstep of death. Then there was the sharing of campers, people as young as their 30s who experienced various forms of cancer, or struggles with disabled children and loss of loved ones. Although I could not relate to any of these experiences, their sharing provided a sense of comfort and acceptance of the fact that I cannot take my health and easy life for granted, but I can take comfort in the assurance of God's comfort and continue to be happy with what I have.
Another message that resonated deeply with me was that it is the message, not the messenger that is important in spreading God's work. We are all called to be unimpressive Jars of Clay (now I finally realise the significance of the band name), and we should not be shy about talking to others about our faith. Furthermore, it is not worldly accomplishments or qualifications that matter, but what is in our heart.
There were many other important lessons; comfort in ministry, the importance of Christian leadership, or the love of parents for their children. But these two above were the ones that hit me the most, and I don't intend to recap all 10 talks. (I did type out pretty extensive notes if anyone wants.) Put the two together, and I felt an urgent reminder that time on earth is short, and I should not dither in telling all my friend's about God's promised salvation.
This post is a little overdue, but better late than never!
Sunday, July 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment