Just for the record I was writing the reviews of the 4 books I just read: The Wisdom of Crowds by James Suroweicki, The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, Mega Memory by Kevin Trudeau and The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs. I was writing the fourth one when the damn machine rebooted itself with no warning whatsoever. I was praying that Google had implemented an autosave function for Blogger like it has for Gmail ... no such luck. I don't know what the "Recover post" button does, but it didn't bring it back.
One hour ... that should be about 2000 words. Probably my longest post ever.
So anyway, here's the super-brief synopsis because I could never bring myself to type all that again.
The Wisdom of Crowds - this is a decent read and doesn't get boring, even though the thematic linkages are a bit weak. If you like this type of journalist-written surveys of academic literature, my favourite book is still The Tipping Point.
The Screwtape Letters - a very short and thought-provoking book, I'd definitely highly recommend this to anyone, especially Christians. Each short chapter explores a different aspect of life and temptation. My favorites were gluttony, peer influence and humour.
Mega Memory - This was the only memory book I could find in Kinokuniya that actually proposes a system to improving your natural memory (as opposed to advising "carry a notebook around). I guess time will tell if it works.
The End of Poverty - This is about how everyone should help to eradicate extreme poverty (people so poor they are barely surviving and cannot start climbing the ladder of development). It is interesting and inspiring, it is also a good introduction to economics principles for people who have no formal training.
Saturday, March 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
aww, that's always a bummer.
i thought blogger auto save... because it seems like they were saving something... but from time to time i do get a little nervous when i was writing a long post, and i would save as draft then continue...
i really like "the screwtape letters" too. the kind of book one can read more than once.
Post a Comment