Sunday, September 03, 2006

ribena

It came to my attention recently that Ribena is a product of GlaxoSmithKine, the pharmaceutical company. It's in really tiny print on the bottles.

From the branding angle, I was just curious what impact it would have if GSK tried to capitalise on the parent brand. Would people suddenly see Ribena favourably as a healthy drink? Or would they shun it as some chemical concoction. What congnitive associations, conscious or otherwise, would people make with the brand?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another fun fact: Philip Morris, maker of Marlboro cigarettes, owns Kraft Foods (although techinically they are owned by an umbrella company, Altria.) Strangely enough, we don't have Marlboro brand cheddar cheese, or Kraft non-fat cigarettes.

paddychicken said...

Haha I remember I thought the Marlboro cowboy was the coolest thing when I was a kid. I would happily have eaten cheese to be like him.