Monday, October 30, 2006

prime ministers and lawyers

Just thought I'd post some little news nuggets I found vaguely interesting and thought-provoking.

Malaysia's Information Minister Datuk Seri Zainuddin Maidin had some things to say about the current debacle between Mahatir and Abdullah, as reported in The Star.

“He is doing to Pak Lah (Abdullah) exactly what Tunku (Abdul Rahman) did to him.

“I still remember because at the time I was an editor and had run a front page story on how Tunku was willing to give his support to the new Semangat 46 and the Opposition coalition in 1987 because he was frustrated with Tun’s attitude when he took over as prime minister in 1981,” he added.

However, Zainuddin said Tunku Abdul Rahman’s act of defiance was more refined than Dr Mahathir’s.

“He (Tunku) criticised in a diplomatic and gentlemanly manner.”

So it seems Malaysia is no stranger to messy transitions of power. Makes you wonder which is better - their chaos or our manicure.

And readers of the Straits Times may have noticed how an arrogant and uncouth lawyer was soundly reprimanded by the courts.
LAWYER M. Ravi, who has made the news as much for his behaviour as for the causes he champions, has been suspended from practising for a year for being rude to a district judge.
What my parents pointed out later was that one of these causes he champions was Chee Soon Juan. Somehow that put everything in a totally different perspective.

No comments: