Sunday, July 24, 2005

i'm reading a book

For the last two weeks, I've been reading Lee Strobel's The Case for a Creator. A friend's recent question made me realise how little I understood about resolving creation with Darwin, the Big Bang and other scientific findings. So I set out to find some answers.

The chapter I was reading yesterday was on the utter improbability of conditions being just right for life on earth. According to one physicist, the chances that everything could fall into place just so is about 1053. (That's the square root of a google.) Things like pressure, temperature, gravity as well as the chemicals around us. For example, if atomic gravity were to change my some infinitely miniscule amount, the planet would not be able to support life any bigger than insects. And even then they'd have incredibly big legs, to deal with the planet's gravity which would increase a hundredfold. Of course the skeptic in my mind immediately asks, but that's life as we know it, why can't we all be insects? I'm still reading to see if he deals with this, but I'm secretly glad I'm not an insect.

And on my way home yesterday, it struck me how every other animal's life is a mere existence. While there I was speeding home at 120km/h with my subwoofer tuned up listening to good old Eminem, and living out a consumer lifestyle so far removed from basic subsistence. Why are we so lucky? And again I was really quite happy not to be one of the houseflies I used to feed my frogs.

I'm not even halfway through the book but there's already a line forming to get their hands on it. Better go buy your own copy and read it quick!

3 comments:

Yuhui said...

Wow, you totally read my mind! A friend once asked me how I know God exists, and I said, "Just look at nature." Like you said, if nature deviated by a miniscule, life as we know it would not exist. And the probability of nature coming into existence as it is now by pure chance is statistically impossible.

Donovan said...

Lee Strobel writes some good stuff though his 2nd book "The case for Faith" had some interesting arguments.

Fred Heeren's "Show me God. Vol 1" is one of the best I've read on the subject matter though for some inexplicable reason he never wrote Vol 2.

Curiouser and curiouser

GooglePR said...

hey, get in touch: flavourcountry@gmail.com