Saturday, March 24, 2007

the ring 2

Just because the girlfriend accepted the proposal with a calamari, I wasn't going to shortchange her on the real deal. So in the midst of the early frenzy to find a hotel before all the places got booked up, there was a parallel and equally urgent effort to find a bling befitting of a lovely wife-to-be.

So first we combed the jewellers at Takashimaya - Larry's, Tiffanys and Charlotte Atelier. But they didn't have any pretty rings. Then we tried the heartland - Lee Hwa, Soo Kee and Goldheart. These, too, were disappointing in design and exhorbitant in price. (Eventually, someone has to pay for all those Destinee ads you know.) And finally, we made our way to the Delfi Orchard area - Fairy's Inc, Diamond Warehouse and Canary Diamonds. And there we struck gold!

It's kind of funny how despite all our divergent opinions (not that mine really counted) on the earlier rings we saw, we had an instant agreement when we found the right one. Both the setting and the rock struck a resonant chord with us, and suddenly we knew we were looking at the one.






The ring is actually bigger than it looks, but it's dwarfed by the meaty fingers. (Ok ok *ouch* I'm kidding! *ouch* I'm kidding!)

For prospective propositions, here are some of the pros and cons of proposing by proxy. (Say that fast and you have a great tongue twister.) Some of them I only realised later.

Pros
1) Taste - Guys generally have different taste, it's much safer to let the girl pick a ring she likes
2) Time - If you spend most of your free time with her, where are you going to find time to shop for a ring on your own? On the other hand, it's a great activity to fill empty pockets of time between activities. ("What shall we do for the next hour until dinner? Let's go shop for rings!")


Cons
1) Budget - You have to tell her the budget to make this work. (I tried to keep it a surprise at first but it's very difficult to make decisions.)
2) Time - She wants to go ring shopping all the time (ok I'm just kidding!)

6 comments:

Eeps & Weexy said...

Considering your blog popularity, it's actually hazardous to post pictures of the ring online.
Now girls really have "something" to compare (I share your grief, bachelors).
Online surfing is no longer the same.

merf said...

Wow! nice ring!

Emay said...

yeah! nice ring! =)

paddychicken said...

annk: most people buy the diamond then choose the setting, we decided to do it the other way around. glad u like it too! :)

Hannah Neo said...

It's nice!!!

But I like mine better...
*beams*

=)

Shem said...

Woo.. nice ring. I'm glad mine was done before yours, otherwise, there would be something to compare to (your diamond cut is really nice). Thank God I was given a budget to keep to when it comes to the ring. Phew... haha!