Sunday, October 09, 2005

engineering philosophy of friendships

Having been through some emotional rollercoasters lately, I think it's interesting to correlate one's sense of wellness with the company one keeps. In particular, I think the presence of friends is a large component of happiness, and different types of friendships can be graphed where x is the amount of happiness and y is time.

Errata: y is the amount of happiness and x is time. Apparently no one is really reading my equations.

I'd do the graphs but I'm on a public terminal, so I hope you remember your math.

Old Friends
Old friends are always there for you. Not very exciting, but hanging out is always positive. This can be graphed as x = a where a > 0.

Hangout Buddies
Hangout buddies drift in and out of our lives, depending on time and space. The getting to know each other part is very exciting, and it can be plotted approximately as |a.sin(x)| where a > 1, for an indefinite time period, until you part ways.

Edit: I have to correct my equation to a[sin(x)+0.875] because there is a slight negative component at times when you feel your buddies don't care about you, although this is often due to misunderstandings. This isn't really noticeable unless too many people make you feel bad at the same time.

Long Distance Friends
It's hard to graph this because it's really erratic. Most of the time, x=0 but during those occasional telephone calls or visits, x can shoot up to astronomical values. It is best describes as a[sin(x)]^b where a and b > 1, and the value of b is correlated to the length of time between meetings.

Girlfriends
This one is simple. It is just a sinusoidal waveform, although the amplitude (both positive and negative) varies with time.

One Night Stands
This should be |-1/x|. If you catch something, you can remove the modulus.

So look at all the friends in your life, find the appropriate waveforms and add them all together. If you're at a point when the peaks coincide, hope it lasts! If you're in a confluence of valleys, hopefully someone new will come into your life. And thus ends the mathematical guide to navigating friendship's ups and downs.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a very interesting way of describing all kinds of relationship we have...

and..hope u won't be stuck on the rollarcoaster for too long..

paddychicken said...

Life is a rollercoaster. But there's the boring parts and the exciting bits. You gotta plot the graph :)

Anonymous said...

sometimes it's just too tiring...such a struggle to see beyond the reality and even to see reality as it is..

Ms Carpe Diem said...

Friendships are important and they are 1 component of the relationships we have in our lives.

On the other hand, I'd hate my life to only be defined by the people I have around me. What if I have to go through the life of Elijah one day, living for righteousness which in his case leads to isolation from people - wouldn't that make me feel like a sad case when objectively speaking reading from the bible it's a season of glory for him.

Off-tangent thought (I'm going to become well-known for this): Which category is God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit in? Could they be different for different individuals?

paddychicken said...

If you want to plot the spiritual element in you're going to need complex numbers.

paddychicken said...

Where friend = annk
y = a[sin(x)]^b where a and b >> 1

You used the wrong equation lah bodo

Donovan said...

Friendship equation...no wonder you scored 88% on pearlywhirls' test =)

Anonymous said...

If friend = Catbert, then just expect to have a few wise-ass comments on your blog every so often. Otherwise, its Hate.

Cos I hate you. I hate you so very very much.

Catbert
Evil HR Manager
"We don't own the community.
We omgwtfpwn the community."

paddychicken said...

And I'd hate to be reminded that Catbert is managing my HR.

Anonymous said...

Be afraid. Be very afraid. Cos all your PB are belong to us.

Catbert
Evil HR Manager
"We don't own the community.
We omgwtfpwn the community."