Sunday, October 02, 2005

the wedding dilemna

'Tis the season to tie the knot, it seems, and I have been getting quite a number of wedding invitations these past months. Most of them are from people I would not classify as close friends, and therein lies the dilemna: I don't want to go.

I ask myself if I am being invited
1) Because the couple genuinely wants me to attend for friendship's sake
2) Because the couple does not want to affront me by leaving me out
3) Because the couple wants me to attend for political reasons

If (1), then I should definitely try to go. Else I had better come up with some damn good excuse so that I don't hurt anyone's feelings. If (2), then obviously I should just inform them that I 'am busy' and that would happily close the matter on both sides. If (3), then I'd have to examine the political context to determine the optimal outcome, can't really come up with a general solution here.

These questions are also pertinent because these are people I would not have intended to invite to my own wedding. So if I ever do get married, should I invite them as well?

6 comments:

Yuhui said...

If you attend a wedding, it's polite to invite them back to yours.

pearlywhirls said...

can think of cynical reason #4 - they want huge crowd to get more ang pows.

honestly i think couples with huge wedding dinners wont be really upset if you (a not very close friend) dont turn up unless their overall RSVPs are poor (at which pt, EVERY guest counts & they may take offense). on that day, they are really too happy & busy entertaining the masses, they probly wont realise/remember your absence.

just be sure to convey your negative RSVP ahead of time.

personally, i'll refrain from inviting pple im not close to to my wedding. it goes back to your personal convictions/purpose for the wedding celebration. ill do my best to minimise/ignore the face or paisey issue. surely its too minor a pt to hold a grudge about.

Anonymous said...

I would hate you if you didnt invite me to your wedding. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!

Catbert
Evil HR Manager
"We don't own the community
We omgwtfpwn the community"

paddychicken said...

Don't worry since you are giving mega big ang pow I will save TWO spaces for you!

Donovan said...

My maxim is that unless I know both the bride and groom (and by know, I just mean ability to pick their face in a police line-up), I will probably give the wedding a miss

Of course, in certain circumstances (e.g. partner has been overseas, couple flying all guests to Seychelles, extremely hot bridesmaid etc) I will reconsider my stance

paddychicken said...

Hey, I like that mantra!