To me, an alpha male is a muscle-minded tank brain with an over-inflated ego. Rambo comes to mind. They get through life through sheer brute force. I suppose they also exude a primal sense of desirability to the opposite sex, but obviously that doesn't particularly interest me.
Do I think I am an alpha male, she had asked? By my definition clearly not, and she agreed. But her definition is totally different.
To her, an alpha male is a perfectionist, someone that is good at school, at work and at sports. So why am I not an alpha male I asked? Because she says alpha males are very driven to succeed and I am just lazy. (I take this as a personal slight because actually I am very very driven to succeed. But since the government places such a strong emphasis on work-life balance and even gives us Saturday off now so that we can make babies, it would be wrong to focus too much on work in this new economy. I am simply following public policy like a good citizen.)
But apparently by the Wikipedia definition, we are both wrong.
An alpha male or alpha female is the individual in the community to whom the others follow and defer. Humans and their nearest species-relatives, the chimpanzees, show deference to the alpha of the community by ritualized gestures such as bowing, allowing the alpha to walk first in a procession, or standing aside when the alpha challenges. Canines also show deference to the alpha pair in their pack, by allowing them to be the first to eat and, usually, the only pair to mate. Wolves are a well known example of this.
The status of alpha is generally achieved by means of superior physical prowess. However in certain highly-social species such as the Bonobo apes, the alpha can use more indirect methods (such as political alliances) to oust the ruling alpha and take his/her place.
So actually it all boils down to leadership, however it may be obtained. I remember eternalbough wants an alpha male too. I wonder what her definition is? Maybe I can still be an alpha male. I also want to be the first to eat.
12 comments:
Well, alpha males don't usually follow public policy like a good citizen, so you may need to cure that 1st =D. Besides, it's how you use your weekends that defines you as an alpha male =p!!! Hahaha, all the best in your new mission ... hope you suceed in eating 1st =D
oh man, dont believe you blogged abt this! :) actually, your definition isnt that far off then (physical prowess = muscle man?).
well, leadership does set apart the boys from the men to me. in particular, servant leadership tho servant-heartedness wldnt really jive w the secular/wikipedia's definition of the alpha male. ill stick to my definition lar.
Pearl, u like the alpha male too? I kinda lead a bunch of boys at TNYF and also at work. and I mean they are REALLY boys. So, does that make me an alpha male?
You are SO not lazy. Please.
Your work is like... your life! Agree?
It occurred to me recently why the term alpha male resonates. It's because my boss called me an alpha male. But his definition was quite different - he commented that I subscribe to the ordered chaos system of organising my workspace, just like my predecessor, therefore I must be an alpha male too.
pearl: I'm sure you can be perfectly prowderful without all the muscles.
rust: i'm sure pearl's alpha males lead men, not boys.
anon: You write as if you know me, but you really don't do you ...
From observation, intelligent girls normally go for the 'lone ranger' types than the alpha males if they're defined in terms of the obvious leader in a fraternity within JC/uni. (Look at where all the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs come from? ;) )
However, don't deny that decisiveness and confidence, hallmarks of alpha males, are a draw for most girls.
From a heavenian's point of view though, a true alpha male is probably someone who is fully committed and proactive in doing God's will in his life. These qualities will flow, not forced by works, but naturally from true character developed from a consistent and strong relationship with Him.
Eternalbough has replied with two essays:
In Alphadom and To Omegadom and Back
Sounds like she will only be satisfied with someone who can be both the Alpha and the Omega.
CD: I have no idea what your first para is trying to say! But many a girl has also expressed frustration at the bull-headed type of guy with overflowing confidence that plunges headlong into the unknown, partner in tow.
yes yes, I would be happy to be "married" to God - the alpha and the omega. you hit the right spot, "alpha males" is my favourite topic. Ask me what is an alpha male, you wouldn't be able to shut me up. I am notorious among my friends for wanting an alpha male. I am on a mission to revive alpha males, flogged to death in the 70s by the evil feminists.
and since I am here, let me try to (which I might fail) to demystify what CD was trying to say. Intelligent girls go for lone rangers (people who do like fellowship), not so intelligent ones go for alpha males.
anyways, I am still waiting for ur songs and poems or do you prefer to be stewed?
believe it or not, i also feel strongly for greater male leadership, less feminism (ala equal rights nonsense). also of the mind that feminism led to a demise of men with initiative.
within christian circles, i think girls have to give bros ard us the opptys & encouragement to initiate & lead... refrain from fussing/ doing everything ourselves.
still, my idea of the alpha male is different from that of EB. maybe i dont want the alpha male more than a servant hearted guy (ie doesnt have to save the whole-wide world, just be gd at & responsible for whats assigned to him) after His very heart & mine! :)
EB kind of got it. From the historical viewpoint the 'lone rangers' (The Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Dells) were spending time alone building their empires from student years. The alpha males then, became more blech when transiting into the working world.
CD: I think your reasoning is a little flawed. First of all, each of these people had a buddy when they were still working in the garage. Secondly, when you are running a garage business, you can't help being solo because you can't afford to hire anyone. And thirdly, if you only look at the successful stories from IT empires, your conclusion is foregone because engineers aren't particularly well known for their social skills.
Post a Comment