This play does not have much by way of a storyline. It is extremely simple, but it sets the stage for the playwright's real agenda which is to provide a tongue-in-cheek portrayal of numerous situations that the protagonists face, first in trying to run a campaign in staid Singapore, then on how the government has to manage civil disquiet. Pam Oei, in particular, is quite hilarious with her feisty portrayals and many accents.David Lee (Rodney Oliveiro), NUS student and President of the Association of Students for Self-expression (ASS), takes it upon himself to launch the Campaign to Confer The Public Service Star on JBJ. His plucky project takes him on an adventure with both expected and surprising twists and turns.
Clara Tang (Pam Oei), rising star of the Civil Service, is tasked to exercise damage control. In the most challenging mission of her career, she finds herself navigating the maze of New Singapore and Old Constraints.
Join us for a tongue-in-cheek look at the boundaries (perceived or otherwise) of fearless expression in Singapore! This fantastical account of an unlikely petition to publicly recognise an unsung hero unfolds into a wildly imaginative “what-if” exploration of possible official reactions!
The scenes are extremely witty and very up to date on recent happenings, from an appearance on Singapore Idol to the podcast studio of the Mrs Brown Show. Many of the main players in our civil society scene are also portrayed: the media, the artists and even the police. And through it all, we are given Eleanor's portrayal of how the civil service really works behind the scenes.
I wonder what it is about artists that seems to place them necessarily at odds with the establishment. Or maybe the anti-establishment types gravitate to the arts as a form of free expression. Or is art the only platform from which they can find an audience?
Next on my arts calendar is Tick Tick Boom. It is also a rock musical by Jonathan Larson of Rent fame. How can I miss that? Maybe I will also catch the Vienna Boys Choir.
3 comments:
Wow, I didn't think anyone else knew about the Vienna Boys' Choir. =)
It's not so simple, but the essence of art or anyone in a creative industry is 'to challenge the existing norm'. This usually leads to not just challenging 'art' alone specifically (medium, language, intention), but really taking an anti-establishment view to everything. It is a way of thinking that must be honed, and hence tends to find it's way into all aspects of life which affect us...
jed
Nat: I've always wanted to hear them since I really enjoyed watching Les Choristes. I figured if the soundtrack of the movie was that good, the original Vienna Boys Choir must be amazing.
Jed: I never realised you were an artist!
Post a Comment