Sunday, July 02, 2006

beautiful girls' names

The reason Christian names are called Christian names is, of course, that many of them come from the bible. You'd think that over 2000 years, all the names would have been used by now, and yet is simply is not true. Because names, like most things, follow fashion fads and trends. Recently, one of the names I see occuring more frequently among the new babies of friends is Nathan. Nathan was originally a son of King David. Ethan, probably popularised by Tom Cruise, was a wise man from the time of Soloman. (You can read even more about popular names and their psychological effects in Freakonomics)

In the course of my daily reading, I came across some gems for girls. Wouldn't every adoring parent want to name their baby girl after the most beautiful women of the land?
The LORD blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first. He had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen and a thousand donkeys. And he also had seven sons and three daughters. The first daughter he named Jemimah, the second Keziah and the third Keren-Happuch. Nowhere in all the land were there found women as beautiful as Job's daughters, and their father granted them an inheritance along with their brothers. [Job 42:12-15]
What are you waiting for? Name your daughters Keren-Happuch today!
So were you expecting beautiful girls' names or beautiful girls' names?

4 comments:

Huichieh said...

Good one :)

But I know I won't be going for "Jemimah", not after having read Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck...

paddychicken said...

Wow that brings back memories ... well not really ... I used to have all the books but I don't remember a thing now :( I guess you must be re-reading all of them ...

Now you're back, wonder if you'd be interested to meet up? I'd love to meet the person behind the writing.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking of naming my daughter Keren. heh. Not cos of the bible character, but cos Keren means 'cool' or 'funky' in Indon. *grin*

-Ling

Huichieh said...

Meet up? That's possible. My email is in my profile--send a note.