I had my first budget airline experience recently, on a weekend vacation with some friends. As the plane taxied down the runway, it began to shudder violently and inexplicably. It only lasted a few seconds in duration, but it was enough to make me wonder if the plane was safe enough to fly. Almost immediately, I rationalised that if the pilot was willing to risk his own life, it must be ok. Anyway, it wasn't my plane. A quick glance around told me that everyone else was either oblivious or asleep. So I continued turning the pages of my book and was soon divorced from reality again.
Upon touching down, I entered a more contemplative mode. "You know," I said to the friend next to me, "if my car had shuddered like that or even made any little rattling sound, I would have frantically pulled over and tried to identify the problem. But with the plane, I don't really care. Isn't it interesting how little regard we have for things that don't belong to us? Especially in a situation like this when our lives are potentially at stake."
She looked at me eyes wide. "You mean you didn't care? I was damn scared! I was just praying hard for a safe trip."
Well, I'm glad that someone was praying. But I think the point about ownership and responsibility still stands. Sometimes I really feel our society is becoming too self-centered and indifferent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment