Watching the instructors and advanced students dance, I realised why it is called a hot and sexy dance. This had kind of escaped me in beginner class. It is also an immensely social dance, with frequent interchange of partners and lots of casual and spontaneous fun.
One interesting thing I noticed is the role each gender played in the social dynamic there. Girls largely outnumbered the guys, but on average the guys seemed to be much better dancers. I attribute this to the fact that each relies on a very difference source of attraction.
For the guys, the most important thing is to dance well. The good dancers there can dance with anyone they want. And if the girl doesn't know the moves, the guy can still sort of lead her through the simpler ones. But as long as he is better than the girl, he is in control. Beginner dancers like myself would never think of approaching anyone above our level. Because in about 1 minute I'd have used up all the moves I know, and she couldn't teach me anything new.
For the girls, the most important thing is to dress
So the guys need to work really hard to get good, and the few that make it to the top can get any girl they want. For the girls, sometimes becoming too good will just intimidate the guys. So maybe it's more important to focus on the appearance and less on the dance steps.
Hmm... in some perverse way, all that seems to mirror real life.
3 comments:
haha. that sounds like real life to me!
sad.
wow? you are learning salsa? when can I try your moves?
EB:
I'm sorry I don't dance with trees. That is only for Indian dance. Just kidding ... you do Salsa too? Can try anytime, but you have been warned that my repertoire is not very big.
Post a Comment