I spent the last few days on a networking course. The engineering kind, not the social kind. It has reminded me that there are some really nice things about engineering compared to desk job. For one thing, there is no ambiguity over the right answer. No policy or political implications, just solve the damn problem. And then while everyone else is still cracking their brains, I can spend the rest of my time surfing the net.
It's a bit surreal accessing my online life when all around me people are fiddling with network analysers and packet sniffers. Who knows what passwords I have lost this week; I better go change them all. But on the bright side, I have read more blogs in three days than the last three weeks.
For one thing, it finally gave me a chance to take a serious look at the new Singapore Angle. It is really exciting to see some of the Singapore blogosphere's most thoughtful people getting together to debate serious issues. And already, they have discussed recent hot topics like GRCs, blogger anonymity and Mr Brown vs MICA, as well as many interesting ideas of their own concoction.
It is intense. In fact, it's a good thing I had the chance to read while in class. Because after a long day at work, I wouldn't have the energy to contemplate such lofty philosophy. I can't help but wonder how many people can follow (or even fathom) some of the issues under scrutiny. If the contributors hope to use this as an avenue to spark more lively discussion, then perhaps it would help to pitch it at a more accessible level.
That said, I missed the old Singapore Angle and I look forward to many more happy hours of reading at the new one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment