People sometimes tell me I am a reckless driver. I suppose this is not entirely unexpected since I weave in and out of traffic and have a pretty high tolerance for proximity to other cars. When jamming the brake, I pride myself in bringing the car to a gradual1 stop right on the tail of the car in front of me. (The reason I do this is to maximise my braking distance, putting less torque on the passenger, and also to give the car behind me more space so he won't hit me.) I also gave the salesman a few heartstopping moments during my test drive while cutting through traffic. But no one really complains. I guess it's partly because people sort of expect this behaviour from someone who drives my type of car, and I'm generally pretty confident on the road.
I think it would be much more interesting if I were to start making little exclamations like "yikes!" or "phew, that was close". Or maybe I should brake a little harder, or scream a little. Or take my hands off the steering wheel and cover my eyes. I'm sure that would make the ride much more entertaining and memorable for my friends.
1 Note that the definition of gradual is not slow. It means by regular or continuous degrees.
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Maybe people don't say anything because they are hitching a ride from you therefore have no right to say anything.
And if u choose to display actions such as screaming and covering ur eyes, please tell me! Better still, SMS me your car plate number.
Post a Comment